livability: safety & security
Building connections among neighbors builds community. A sense of community creates an environment of personal safety. Prospect Park has a long history of involved neighbors who get to know each other, respect each other's privacy, and also make the extra effort to support National Night Out block parties, and participate in Prospect Park Association neighborhood meetings to continue to improve the livability of our neighborhood.
TIPs to make our neighborhood even safer
The Safety and Security Sidewalk Lighting installed in 2000 below the tree canopy in most of the residential areas of Prospect Park enable us to take some extra actions that can make our neighborhood even safer:
- Keep a light on near a window in your house all night (so it will appear to a would-be criminal on the street that someone is awake in your house and may be watching the street).
- Take an evening walk around Prospect Park with two or three of your neighbors. Use a cell phone to report any suspicious activity.
- Get to know your neighbors, and learn who belongs in your neighborhood and who doesn’t. (Join your Block Club.)
- Ensure that the paths to and from your home are well lit (motion-sensing lights, lights-on-timers or simply keeping your outside lights on all the time will work and is inexpensive).
- Trim back tree branches and bushes that prevent your neighbors from clearly seeing a burglar breaking into your house via each door or window.
- Make your house "look occupied" when you are away, by having a radio on and by leaving some lights on or using light timers.
- Keep your doors and windows locked.
- Secure easily stolen items such as grills, bicycles, tools and especially laptop computers.
- To prevent or reduce the chance of your car being vandalized or stolen:
- park your car in your garage
- If you can’t park in a garage, park your car on a well lit street and consider a car alarm
- don’t keep anything of value in the car (at least put it in your trunk)
- also don’t put a blanket over "some stuff" you keep in your car (car windows have been broken by thieves who think there may be valuables under the blanket)